Wedding Countdown Checklist
Wedding Countdown Checklist
After you have said "YES" there is so much to be done. The following is a planning tool to help you get started. God bless you as you begin the countdown to your special day.
AFTER ENGAGEMENT -- SIX TO TWELVE MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Begin a "Wedding" binder to include brainstorming of all your ideas and things you love.
- With your fiance, select your wedding date and time.
- Figure out what your budget will be and then break it down into the different categories with a sheet for each one.
- Determine what type of wedding and reception you would like; venue, colors, formality and theme.
- Choose a ceremony site and make an appointment to reserve the location for the ceremony and rehearsal.
- Arrange for the clergy or officiant to perform the ceremony.
- Reserve a reception facility.
- If you wish to use a consultant/wedding planner, book their services.
- Select attendants (bridesmaids/groomsmen/flower girl/ring bearer); get sizes and decide on the most flattering attire for them.
- Begin your search for a caterer if you will be having food at the reception or rehearsal dinner.
- Start compiling names and addresses for your guest list. Be sure to get input from your fiance or future mother-in-law.
- Shop for wedding gown and accessories for yourself, your attendants and mothers. Also check out tuxedo rental info.
- Search for a reliable florist and discuss your floral needs for decorations and bouquets.
- Select a professional videographer and photographer.
- Start collecting favorite photos from both of your childhoods up to present day for your video or slideshow at the rehearsal dinner.
- Reserve a band or orchestra and arrange for any vocalists or musicians you would like.
- Sign up for bridal registry and choose gifts at your favorite stores together.
- Decide on your honeymoon destination and book reservations.
- Discuss where you will live (his home, your home or a new home of your own).
FOUR TO SIX MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Compile the final guest list; delete or correct as needed.
- Make sure all deposits are made for services reserved.
- Finish planning the honeymoon.
- Book floral, food and entertainment providers.
- Taste test and decide on flavors/decorations and order the wedding cake
- Order bridal attire if not already done. (Some manufacturers require up to 6 months to deliver)
- Have the groom, groomsmen, fathers and ushers fitted for formal wear.
- Purchase your wedding rings.
- Order invitations, thank-you notes, imprinted napkins and wedding programs
- Assign ceremony and reception duties like candle lighters, guest book attendant and cake servers.
- Check marriage license requirements (blood tests).
TWO TO THREE MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Plan the ceremony rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.
- Address wedding invitations (mail four to six weeks prior to the wedding).
- Organize details with service providers: reception facility, photographer
- Check into accommodations for out-of-town guests; send them the pertinent information.
- Make beauty appointments: hair, nails, masage, facial and makeup.
- Arrange for final fittings for your gown and bridesmaid dresses.
- Make your transportation arrangements for the wedding day.
- Purchase gifts for your attendants.
- Shop for your trousseau, lingerie and going-away outfit.
- Give a bridesmaid luncheon or bachelor party. (optional)
- Send thank-you notes for gifts received early.
- Get accessories: garter, unity candle, toasting goblets, ring-bearer pillow, rose petals and basket for flower girl.
- Write your vows if you choose.
- Pick your wedding bands.
- Confirm number of centerpieces, bouquets and boutonnieres with the florist.
- Start a wedding day timeline.
- Book wedding night accommodations and honeymoon.
- Order groom and groomsmen tuxedos.
ONE MONTH BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Color/cut your hair and do a hairstyle and makeup run-through.
- Change your name (if you choose) on your drivers license and social security card.
- Organize which credit cards and bank acconts will be used.
- If you are moving, send change-of-address cards to the post office.
- Give final guest count to caterer.
- Make necessary lists for photographer and musicians.
- Confirm accommodations for our-of-town guests.
- Keep writing thank-yous; don't let them pile up.
- Break in your wedding shoes.
- Hire a wedding coordinator or ask a responsible person to coordinate services and people on the wedding day.
- Give them the list of who and what is supposed to be where and when.
- Pick up your wedding rings and make sure they are the correct size.
- Delegate last minute errands and details.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Get your marriage license (must have at least one week before the wedding).
- Pick up your wedding attire; try it all on one last time to be sure it fits.
- Make sure bridesmaids have their dresses and proper accessories.
- Make sure all groomsmen go to the formal wear store for a final fitting.
- Share the wedding day timeline with all vendors.
- Pamper yourself and your groom; make sure you eat right and get enough sleep.